The 27th Rotaract District Assembly of R.I. District 3220 Sri Lanka & Maldives, which is one of the most glamorous events in the Rotaract calendar, was successfully held on the 1st of July 2017 at Blue waters, Wadduwa with the participation of over 500 Rotaractors from District 3220. This marked the end of a successful Rotaract year and yet another beginning of a new Rotaract year with the installation of the District Rotaract Representative Rtr. PP. Anuradha Senanayake and her district committee for the year 2017-18. This colorful event was jointly hosted by the Rotaract Clubs of Colombo Midtown, Wellewatte and University of Colombo Faculty of Arts.
After the registration of the many attendees, the first session started off with the arrival of Chief Guest and dignitaries and the lighting of the traditional oil lamp. After the dignitaries took their respective seats at the head table, the assembly was called to order by the DRR followed by the Flag Salutation, Invocation, Four-way test and the Rotaract Song.
The gathering was then welcomed warmly by the Assembly Chair Rtr. PP Punith Gunasekara recognizing the presence of the distinguished guests at the event. Next, was a short video highlighting the many projects carried out during the past term which was shown as a part of the Secretary’s report presented by the District Secretary for the year 2016-17, Rtr. PP. Tilani Subasinghe. In her speech she drew special attention on what has been achieved so far by the Rotaract District 3220.
“Anyone can come with a vision and an action plan but without the dedication of all the Rotaractors, it would not have been possible” Outgoing DRR Rtr. PP. Mohammed Husni delivered a heartfelt address to the gathering upon the conclusion of his term and thanked all individuals who were and are a part of the Rotaract movement for the tremendous help and support extended throughout the year. He also took the time to thank each and every member of his committee for making the past term one of the most successful years Rotaract has witnessed.
Afterwards, District Rotaract Committee Chair for the year 2016-17 Rtn. PHF Sanjeewa Fernando addressed the gathering. Then the outgoing DRR Rtr. PP Mohammed Husni awarded the outgoing District Committee with tokens of appreciation along with interesting introductions for each member.
The gathering was then addressed by the Youth Service Team 2016-17.
Next on the agenda was an entertainment item followed by the address by the District Governor for the year 2016-17, Rtn. PHF Senaka Amarasinghe, who was also the Chief Guest for the session. He delivered an important message through his speech.
Before the lunch breakout, workshops were stated in seven locations in order to give introduction on main areas of club positions and avenues .Mainly key points of club guidelines and “how to do things in the correct way ” were discussed & planned by our very own advisory panel of Rotarians. Breakout sessions for club directors were much engaging by the great contribution of Rotarians and past distinguished Rotaractors.
Breakout sessions were conducted by the following Rotarians and Past DRRs
- President, Vice President and General Members Session – DGE Dushan Soza
- Secretary Session – Rtn. Crishantha Herath
- Treasurers and Finance Directors – Rtn. Kumudu Warnakulasooriya.
- Community Service – Rtn. Sanjeewa Fernando
- Professional Development – Rtn. Selvarajah Maherakanth
- Club Service – Rtn. Marshad Barry and PDRR Abdul Wahid Sathar
- Public Relations and Editors – Rtn. PDRR. PHF. Sathiyendra T Singham and Rtn. PDRR. PHF. Jagatheesan Pirrashan
The proceedings of the second session kicked off with the arrival of the Chief Guest followed by the lighting of the traditional oil lamp. After the dignitaries took their respective seats at the head table, the assembly was called to order by the chairperson. Next was the Curtain Raiser video which unveiled the theme for the year 2017-18 ‘Engage Rotaract- Redefine Friendship’ along with the logo.
Then came the most important item of the day, introduction and induction of the DRR 2017-18. The official Collar and Gavel exchanged marking the transition of DRR and DRRE. IPDRR Rtr. PP Mohamed Husni collared Rtr. PP Anuradha Senanayake as the new DRR and officially handed over the responsibilities of the Rotaract District 3220. After taking the podium DRR Rtr. PP Anuradha Senanayake addressed the gathering as the new DRR by introducing herself and the Rotaract theme for the year and some of the plans she has for the year.
Her address was followed by the induction of the incoming District Committee for the year 2017-18 and the Directors appointed are as follows:
- DRR: Rtr. PP. Anuradha Senanayake
- IPDRR: Rtr. PP. Mohamed Husni
- Asst. DRR: Rtr. PP. Punith Gunasekera
- Asst. DRR: Rtr. Asela Wijerathne
- Asst. DRR: Rtr. PP. Ridwan Shariffdeen
- District Secretary: Rtr. Shalanka Weerasinghe
- Asst. District Secretary: Rtr. Thanushki Adhihetty
- District Treasurer: Rtr. PP. Aaqeel Jiffry
- District Co-Editor: Rtr. Pramodha Weerasekera
- District Co-Editor: Rtr. IPP. Vidyas Gnanasekaram
- Sargent at Arms: Rtr. PP. Azeeza Najimudeen
- Zonal Representative (Nothern): Rtr. IPP. Sivarasa Ramanikaran
- Zonal Representative (Upcountry): Rtr. PP. Nemini Wanigasekera
- Joint Director – Club Service: Rtr. PP. Nuzrath Benazir Farook
- Joint Director – Club Service: Rtr. IPP. Oshadha Abhayasundara
- Asst. Director- Club Service: Rtr. Nirun Lashanga
- Director- Membership Development: Rtr. PP. Abdul Baasit Sathar
- Joint Director- International Services: Rtr. IPP. Chamal Kuruppu
- Joint Director- International Services: Rtr. IPP. Yasas Diyanananda
- Joint Director- Community Service: Rtr. IPP. Nipun Sachintha Peiris
- Joint Director- Community Service: Rtr. IPP. Amristar Wickramaratna
- Joint Director- Professional Development: Rtr. PP. Amitha Bandara Dissanayake
- Joint Director- Professional Development: Rtr. Kanishka Wijayasekara
- Director- Training and Leadership Development: Rtr. IPP Hiruni Christeena Perera
- Asst. Director- Training and Leadership Development: Rtr. Amrick Andrado
- Joint Director- Sports & Recreation: Rtr. PP. Bhasura Perera
- Joint Director- Sports & Recreation: Rtr. Thilini Leeniyagolla
- Joint Director- Regional Engagement & Clusters: Rtr. PP. Nethmini Medawala
- Joint Director- Regional Engagement & Clusters: Rtr. IPP. Suhirthan John Kennedy
- Rotary Family Coordinator: Rtr. PP. Vijayadas Devadas
- Joint Director- Public Relations & Communications (Digital Media): Rtr. PP. Ama Silva
- Joint Director- Public Relations & Communications (Media Unit): Rtr. PP. Praveen Fernando
- Joint Director- Public Relations & Communications (Partnership and Branding): Rtr. PP. Parami Fernando
- Director- Digital Communications Services: Rtr. IPP. Kavinda Bandulasena
- Assistant Director- Digital Communications Services: Rtr. Eranga Premathilaka
- Joint Director- Special Projects: Rtr. IPP. Sasmini Bandara
- Joint Director- Special Projects: Rtr. IPP. Annapoorna Jayasiri
- District Coordinator – Rtr. Mohamed Hyder Mohamed Hiras
The 2017-18 year began under the theme Engage Rotaract- Redefine Friendship under the leadership of DRR. Rtr. PP. Anuradha Senanayake. District officials were installed along with the governor and DRCC’s wishes.
Next was the introduction to DRCC for the year 2017-18 followed by the speech by the DRCC Rtn. Bobby Srinivass.
The Rotaract District bid farewell to Rtr. Sathiyeandra T Singam, Rtr. Zayan Jeffry, Rtr. Thilina De Silva, Rtr. Ishan Malik Hannan and Rtr. Selvaraja Gajendran, some of the most senior Rotaractors for their dedication towards Rotaract movement throughout these years.
Next was the the special Recognition of Rotarians for the support rendered by them during the Rotary Year 2016-17 by the IPDRR Rtr. PP. Mohammed Husni followed by a short address by the Youth Service Chair for the year 2017-18 Rtn. PHF. Satyajit Seneviratne.
Then the newly appointed District Governor for the year 2017-18 Ven Dr. Bandagiriye Somawansa Thero, who was also the Chief Guest for the second session, shared his thoughts and extended his wishes to all the Rotaractors.
One of the most exciting events of the day was the Awards Ceremony, which was spread out over the two sessions. This year we saw many achievements lead by clubs under the theme ‘vision to action’ by IPDRR Rtr. PP. Mohammed Husni. All the Rotaract clubs and their projects done during the year 2016-17 recognized with awards. The many awards received made the day extra special not only for our club, but also for all the other clubs. It recognized the invaluable contributions and achievements of the Rotaract clubs in the District and their individual members throughout the term 2016-17.
The final item on the agenda was the delivery of the vote of thanks. “Let’s embrace ourselves to engage in Rotaract and redefine friendship”, Rtr. Shalanka Weerasinghe, District Secretary for the year 2017-18 delivered the vote of thanks, after which the 27th Rotaract District Assembly was terminated by DRR.
Then an evening full of fun and music began. A themed after party was right there to celebrate and welcome the new Rotaract year. This gave an amazing opportunity for the Rotaractors to network with each other. The 27th Rotaract District Assembly proved to be an amazing day for all of us.
Best wishes to the newly appointed DRR Rtr. Anuradha Senanayake and her team for the upcoming year ahead.
Rtr. Dilini De Silva